How do I connect my Dish Network remote to a new TV?
If you need to connect your old Dish Network remote to a new TV (or just a different TV than the one you are currently using), you will have to follow some simple steps to accomplish this.
How to find the Dish Network remote code for a new TV
First off, you will have to find the model of the remote control that you are currently using. Just take a look at the back of the remote and you will see the model number at the very top. Once you find the model number, just go to this page to find the remote code that applies to your particular TV : Dish remote codes. Select the model number and under product type select “TV”, and under Manufacturer select the name of the manufacturer for your TV.
For example if your remote has the model number 21.1 IR/UHF, and your new TV is a Samsung then the remote code for that Samsung is most likely 738 as you can see from the site which we linked to. Note that different codes are given, so you may need to try the other codes if the most popular one does not work for you.
How to connect your new TV to Dish network using the remote code?
Now, here are the steps you will need to follow in order to actually connect your Dish network remote to your TV once you have the correct remote code:
- 1. Turn your new TV on either by directly pressing the power button on the TV itself or using the TV specific remote (not the Dish network remote, since that’s clearly not possible yet).
- 2. On the Dish Network remote control, press and hold the TV Mode button for three seconds until all the Mode buttons light up. The TV mode button is at the top of the remote, and just says “TV”.
- 3. On the Dish Network remote control, input the 3 digit code using the numeric buttons on the remote. Then press the pound button (the “#”) just once. Once you do this, the top buttons will flash red three times.
- 4. Now you can test to see if the Dish network remote operates the new TV – try out the volume control, the power button and the mute button.
- 5. If the Dish remote still does not work with your new TV, then go ahead and try step 2 again. If you are unsuccessful again, then try using a different 3 digit code from the page we mentioned earlier.
What if I am still not seeing the Dish network channels?
If you are able to control your TV with the Dish remote using both the volume and channel buttons, but you are still not seeing your Dish Network channels then there are two possible problems:
- 1. The first possibility is that your TV is on the wrong channel. You should try to put the TV on either channels 73, 60, or 62 and once you do that see if your TV is now connected to Dish Network.
- 2. The other possibility is that the cable connected to your TV is loose. Make sure that this is not the case by tightening the cable.
If none of the possible solutions works, then try to follow these steps:
- 1. Go to your main TV – TV1, and press the Menu button.
- 2. On the Dish remote control, press the numbers 6, 1, and 5 in sequence.
- 3. Where it says TV2 out, it will say “Air” and “Cable” – one of those will be selected and have a purple dot right next to it. You need to change it so that the other option is the one that is selected – so if Air is selected change it to Cable, otherwise if Cable is selected just change it to Air.
- 4. Now, if you selected “Air” your TV2 must be set to be on channel 60 in order to connect to Dish Network correctly. But, if you selected “Cable”, your TV2 will need to be set to 73.